Kanpur Dehat is surrounded by districts Kanpur Nagar, Hamirpur, Jalaun, Auraiya and Kannauj. River Yamuna divides Kanpur Dehat and Jalaun. The district name has been changed to Kanpur Dehat on 30/07/2012. Earlier Kanpur Dehat district was renamed as Ramabai Nagar on 1-7-2010. Initially this district was with Kanpur and then divided and got the name as Kanpur Dehat in year 1977. It has very large stretch of industrial belt starting from Rania to Jainpur.
Name Kanpur is a transformed version of its original name Kanhapur given by the two rulers Hindu Singh of Sachendi and Ghanshyam Singh of Ramaipur. The british ruler Hobson Johnson found the word difficult to pronounce and he changed it to Cawnpore. Later it came close to its name as Kanpur.Kanpur Divided into two district namely Kanpur-Nagar and Kanpur-Dehat in year 1977. Reunited again in year 1979. Again seperated in year 1981. District was renamed as Ramabai Nagar by 1857/1-5-2010-114-2010-Ra0-5 dated 1-7-2010. The district has been renamed as Kanpur Dehat vide notification No.946/1-5-2012-123/2012-Rev.-5, dated July 30,2012.